Spring is considered an awaking or rebirth. Many fun things happen during the spring season. Springtime flowers begin to bloom, days start to get longer, the temperatures start to rise. It’s the time of year when people get to come outside and do fun activities again especially after a long, and harsh winter. Check out these fun spring facts for kids.
Spring Facts for Kids
When it is Spring in the Northern Hemisphere it is Autumn or Fall in the Southern Hemisphere. The Northern Hemisphere is North of the Equator. The US is in the Northern Hemisphere. The Southern Hemisphere is South of the Equator. Australia is located in the Southern Hemisphere.
Spring begins on March 21st or 22nd. The first day of Spring is called the Vernal Equinox. Vernal is Latin for Spring. Equinox is Latin for Equal Days.
On the first day of Spring, the sunrise and sunset are about 12 hours apart, everywhere on the Earth and the hours of daylight and night are almost equal. The daylight is a little longer.
The Vernal Equinox occurs when the tilt of the Earth’s axis is not facing towards or away from the sun.
On the Vernal Equinox, the sun is directly above the equator. This also happens on the Autumnal Equinox in Fall around September 22nd.
What Happens During Spring?
During Spring the Earth’s axis starts to tilt towards the sun. The days get longer and warmer. Many animals have babies such as cows, birds, and ducks. Animals such as bears who hibernate start to wake up and become active.
During April you will see more rain showers. During May the flowers will start to bloom. That is where the saying April showers bring May flowers comes from.
Easter, Passover, April Fools Day, Earth Day, Arbor Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and Cino De Mayo, Holi (festival of colors in India) are all holidays in Spring.
Spring in Other Parts of the World
Spring takes place at different times in different parts of the world. In Australia the spring season occurs during the months of September, October and November. Like in the the U.S the days become longer and the temperatures rise. Flowers and trees start to bloom. Animals come out of hibernation and many baby animals are born.
In Argentina spring also occurs in September, October, and November. A very important holiday is held in spring. Teacher’s Day is celebrated on September 11th.
It also marks the anniversary of the death of their former president and educator Domingo Faustino Sarmiento. Teacher’s Day is a national holiday in Argentina.
Springtime is considered the best time to visit the Middle East. Spring arrives in the Middle East in March and lasts through May. The temperatures aren’t too hot for visitors and the wild flowers are blooming.
Fun Activities you can do in Spring
- After winter must come spring. What are some of the things you look forward to during spring? Do you like to play outside with your friends? Running around outside is a fun way to get out all your stored up winter energy. Other fun outside activities include roller skating, hiking, playing on the playground.
- Do you like gardening? If so, talk to your parents about growing a vegetable garden. Some vegetables that you can plant in the spring include broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and beans.
- If you do not want to plant vegetables you can try a flower garden. Some flowers you can plant in spring include daffodils, hyacinths, crocus, primrose, tulips and pansies.
- Spring is the perfect time of year to get out in the dirt and take a look at nature. Go on a nature walk. Walking is a great exercise, bring binoculars. Take a look around what do you see? Listen to the sounds of the baby birds high up in the trees.
- Have you learned how to ride a bike? Springtime is a great time to learn something new, like riding a bike.
- If you already know how to ride a bike, take a nightly family bike ride. It is a great way to spend quality time with your family while having fun.
We hope you enjoyed these spring facts for kids. Check out our summer facts for kids.