Sandboxes or Sand Tables are great for toddlers and small children. They bring part of the beach right to your own backyard.
Nowadays, not only do they have traditional sandboxes, but they also have sand tables.
Choosing the perfect one for your little one can be hard with many different styles and features. We at kidsplayandcreate.com came up with a list of the seven best sandboxes and sand tables on the market today.
We made our list based on research, customer reviews, and personal experiences.
Step 2 Naturally Playful Sand Table
Step 2 makes great toys for kids and does not disappoint with this great sand table. Instead of the traditional sandbox that lies on the ground, this sand table brings the sand to the kid’s level so they can stand and play.
This table is very sturdy and solid. You can even use it as a water table.
It just does not come with a drain plug, so if you were going to use it as a water table, you would have to pour out the water after use.
It has a plastic lid with elastic ties to help protect the sand from nature’s elements and keep it clean and dry.
The lid can also be used as a car track. Just stick it on the sand table, and kids can play with the molded-in roadways.
They are the perfect size for using hot wheels or other small cars. This table comes with accessories. Some assembly is required. This product does not come with sand,
- Comes with two shovels, two claw rakes, and one bucket.
- A lid that doubles as a car track.
- Holds up to 40 pounds of sand
- Lightweight 16.5 pounds
- Dimensions are 36 x 26 x 16.4 inches
- Recommended age is two and up
Step 2 Crabbie Sand Table
This adorable red crab-shaped sand table is perfect for young children. It is a smaller table which makes it great for toddlers. This sand table holds up to 25 pounds of sand.
The legs can come off to use the table at ground level. However, it was built to stand on its legs. It comes with four accessories.
This table can also be used as a water table on hot days.
Again, it does not come with a drain plug, so you must pour the water out after use.
Its crab shell lid protects the sand from nature’s elements and keeps it clean and dry.
Some assembly is required. This product does not come with sand.
- It comes with two small shovels and two small cups
- It comes with a crab shell lid to keep sand clean and dry
- Lightweight and sturdy, weights 10 pounds
- Recommended age is 18mts -5 (I believe that kids a little over a year to age three would get the most use)
- Dimensions 22 x 24.4 x 24.2 inches
- The perfect table for toddlers.
Little Tikes Big Digger Sandbox
Little Tikes Big Digger Sandbox
This cute sandbox is perfect for your little guy or gal who loves to play with trucks. It has a construction site theme which encourages imaginary play.
It’s a smaller table and great to use in small yards and patios. It’s a great size for 1-2 children to play. It comes with a lid to keep sand clean and dry.
The lid can also be used as a truck ramp for extra fun.
This well-made sandbox comes with seven accessories and will keep the kids busy. 50-60 pounds of sand will be enough to fill. Some assembly is required. The sand is not included.
- Molded-in ramps and roadways great for imaginary play
- It has a lid that can also be used as a truck ramp for extra fun.
- An excavator that can pick up and dump sand and load trucks.
- It has seven accessories, including two construction workers, a dump truck, a shovel, a rake, a cup, and a sand sifter.
- Great size for smaller spaces, with enough room for 1-2 children to play.
- Dimensions 28.5 x 51 x 25 inches
- Weight 13 pounds
- Recommended ages 3-5; however, I recommend 18mts-4 years
Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox
This is a classic when it comes to sandboxes. Kids love playing in this large green turtle-shaped sandbox.
One great feature is the seats molded into the outside of the sandbox to provide comfortable seating for your little one.
The plastic lid is shaped like a turtle shell, keeping the sand dry. This sandbox can hold up to 150 pounds of sand.
It provides a large space for about four toddlers to play. Some have even used this sandbox as a small pool in the summer. It does not have a drain plug, so the water must be poured out afterward.
If using it as a small pool, ensure it is completely dry before putting the lid back on to prevent mold.
The only downfall to this classic sandbox is that it doesn’t come with toys. Sand is also not included.
The Little Tikes Turtle Sandbox is currently available at Walmart
- Adorable turtle-themed sandbox
- It comes with a lid to keep sand clean and dry
- It holds up to 150 pounds of sand.
- Big enough for multiple children to play at once
- Lightweight,. 11.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 38.75 x 43.25 x 12 inches
- Ages recommendation 12mts – 6 years
- It can be used as a small pool (no drain plug)
Step 2 Play and Store Sandbox
This is a great sandbox by Step 2. It is made well and provides lots of space for kids to play. It would be a great addition to any daycare or childcare program.
This sandbox by Step 2 comes with a lid to keep the sand clean and dry. It has four molded-in seats inside the sandbox to provide comfortable seating for the kids while they play.
This sandbox can hold up to 200 pounds of sand.
You do not need to fill the whole thing us to play. The sand is not included.
This sandbox does not come with sand toys or accessories. The contemporary design and natural color fit nicely with most backyard décor. It comes fully assembled, which is a plus. An overall nice sandbox.
- Nice contemporary design and natural color
- It comes with a lid to protect the sand from nature’s elements
- Comes fully assembled
- It holds up to 200 pounds of sand
- Dimensions 11 x 42 x 28 inches
- Weight 13 pounds
- Recommended for children ages 2-6
Step 2 Naturally Playful Sand and Water Table
Step 2 Naturally Playful Sand and Water Table. This table is the best of both worlds as it combines water and sand tables. Kids love mixing sand and water! Half of the table holds water, while the other half holds sand.
It includes a plastic cover, but only for the sand side to keep it clean. It has eight accessories, including a 60-inch removable umbrella (great for hot days), two bridges, two boats, two pots, and one shovel.
Another great feature is that the table’s legs are removable, so you can use them at ground level. It also comes with a drain plug for the waterside to drain the water easily after use.
- Play with both water and sand (holds 20 pounds of sand not included)
- It comes with eight accessories (a removable umbrella, two bridges, two boats, two pots, and one shovel)
- Lid with elastic ties for the sand side.
- Drain plug for the waterside
- Removable legs to play with at ground level.
- Minimal assembly is required.
- Weight 27 pounds
- Dimensions 26 x 46.5 x 20.8 inches
Step 2 Splash N Scoop Bay Sand and Water Table
The Step 2, Splash N Scoop Bay Sand and Water Table, the kids will have the best of both worlds, a water and sand table in one! I know what you’re thinking about water and sand; that will be a big mess, but wait, Step 2 has got you covered.
This great table comes with a lid. So, to avoid the mess, use the lid to cover one side.
It’s a great way to keep the water and sand completely separated.
You don’t have to use the table for water and sand if you want. You can fill the whole thing with water or the whole thing with sand, your choice.
This fun table has seven accessories: a water tower, shark scooper, cup, slide, spinner, and a two-sided tool, a rake on one side and a shovel on the other.
It has a drain on the waterside for easy cleanup.
It has a straight-leg design that makes the table extra sturdy. The legs can also detach for easy storage. The kids say the water tower is the best part of this two-sided table. They enjoy watching the water whirl down the maze-like slide.
- It comes with a cover that can fit the water side or the sand side (the cover only can cover one side at a time)
- The Waterside can hold 3 gallons of water. The sand side can hold 3 pounds of sand.
- It comes with seven accessories.
- The table has a hole in the center that can hold an umbrella to block out the sun.
- Dimensions 31 x 28.2 x 29.5
- Weight 11.5 pounds
Kids Sandbox with Canopy Cover
Canopy Sand Box, You can enjoy the summer months with this incredible sandbox featuring a fun sun theme in a contemporary design perfect for any backyard.
It blends easily with your landscaping theme while providing hours of amusement for children. The sandbox provides enough room for multiple children to build sand castles and enjoy the outdoors. Recommended for children ages 2-10.
The sandbox has a contemporary design and is made of real cedar wood.
It will blend in easily with your backyard décor.
The canopy protects from the sand and keeps it clean and dry.
This sandbox holds 5 50lb bags of sand.
- Contemporary design with natural color
- The canopy rotates 180 degrees for maximum sun protection
- Has four molded-in seats, one at each corner of the box.
- Uses 5 50lb bags of sand.
- It comes with a sun-themed lid to keep sand clean and dry.
- Sturdy and made in the USA
- easy assembly
- Dimensions 46.5 x 46.5 x 46.5 inches
- Big enough for multiple children to play at the same time
What Type of sand do I purchase for my sandbox or sand table?
There are differences, and you can choose for your sandbox or sand table.
You can choose traditional sand or kinetic sand, moon sand, or even colored sand. I haven’t tried it, but some have collected sand from their local beach and used it in their sandboxes or sand tables.
If you do not want to purchase sand online, check out your local Home Depot or Lowes stores for sand. Here are some of our top picks.
School Specialty Silicone Sand
School Specialty Silicone Sand, 25 Pounds, Sand Only
If you are on a budget, this is a great choice. It comes with a 25-pound bag of sand. The sand is smooth, but it does have small rocks in it. It’s not dusty and will not stick to the kid’s hands. It is a good quality sand for the price.
Activa Scenic Sand
ACTIVA Scenic Sand, 5-Pound, White
This is good quality sand. It comes in 5-pound bags and a variety of colors. My daughter loves the color blue. She was excited when I got her blue sand for her sandbox.
ACTIVA Scenic Sand is 100% natural and environmentally friendly. It is safe for children of all ages, ACMI Certified, AP approved, and meets CA Prop 65This sand is non-toxic, has no free silica or quartz, and is 100% natural.
It is a good quality sand.
Kinetic Sand Beach Sand
Kinetic Sand – Beach Sand
This is my favorite when it comes to sandbox sand. The only problem is that if you have a large sandbox, it will be expensive to fill it. This sand is made from real beach sand. It feels moist, which makes it great for building sand castles. It never drys out, keeps your hands dry, and does not feel sticky. This is truly great sand.
Should I purchase a sandbox for my daycare program?
Sandboxes or Sand Tables are great for daycares or childcare programs. They promote imaginary play, build social skills and enhance creativity.
The child will learn about sharing and playing with other children. I recommend having a small inside sand table that can be maintained easily and cleaned regularly.
If you are running a daycare program, you may want to look into your state’s regulations for having a sandbox. If you have a daycare and don’t want to use sand, try using macaroni, rice, or water beads and use the table as a sensory table instead of a sand table.
Should I purchase sand toys for my child’s sandbox or sand table?
Some sandboxes or tables come with sand toys, but having more is fun, especially if more than one child uses them.
You may want to purchase additional sand molds, shovels, sand sifters, or sandbox vehicles. This one below by John Deere is very popular.
John Deere Sandbox Vehicle
They will add extra fun to your child’s sandbox.
These trucks are made with great quality heavy-duty plastic and will last long. They are lightweight and made for small hands. Great trucks for children 18mts and up. They have working rolling wheels. Great set!