Grinch Facts for Kids
Reading How the Grinch Stole Christmas during the Christmas season is a tradition in many families. Read these facts about the old grumpy creature.
- The Grinch first appeared in the poem Hoobuband the Grinch written by Dr. Seuess and published in Redbook Magazine in May 1955.
- A couple years later in 1957, Dr. Seuss wrote How the Grinch Stole Christmas and a classic was born.
- The Grinch is described as a big-bellied, pear-shaped, hairy green creature. He is a grumpy, hot-tempered, old who, who lives on Mt. Crumpit along with his sweet dog named Max.
In the book, the Grinch hates Christmas and the whole Christmas season especially when the Who’s down in Who-ville start singing. It is unclear on why the Grinch hates Christmas, but it may be because his heart was two sizes too small. The Grinch vows to stop Christmas from coming but how. The Grinch comes up with a plan to stop Christmas.
The Grinch’s Plan
The Grinch makes a plan to stop Christmas. He plans on taking all the Who’s presents, packages, and bags. He makes a Santa Claus Suit, turns his do Max into a reindeer by making a horn to place at the top of his head. Then on Christmas night, the Grinch gets a sled and heads straight for Who-ville.
He enters one Who’s home and takes the presents, packages, bags, Christmas tree, the log from the fire, and the roast beast. He didn’t even leave a crumb small enough for a mouse. Then he did the same thing to all the other Who’s houses.
The Grinch packets up his sled and heads back to Mt. Crumpit.
Did the Grinch Stop Christmas?
The Grinch’s sled gets stuff on a cliff. Just then morning approaches. He waits to hear the cry of the Who’s who are missing all there presents but instead he hears signing. The Grinch looks puzzled, not sure why the Who’s are signing. He tells his dog, Max, that Christmas came without presents, packages or bags.
Change of Heart
The Grinch realizes that Christmas doesn’t come from a store “perhaps Christmas means a little bit more.” Some say next a miracle happened and the Grinch’s heart grew 3 sizes that day. The Grinch gets the strength of 10 Grinches and is able to pull the sled to safety. He drives the sled back to Who-ville and returns all the items he stole from the Who’s. The Grinch himself joins the Who’s for Christmas dinner and carves the roast beast.
More Facts about the Grinch
- The animated special How the Grinch Stole Christmas aired in 1966.
- Boris Karloff narrated the story and was also the voice of the Grinch.
- The song “You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch” was written by Dr. Seuss and performed by Thurl Raven Scroft.
- The Grinch also makes an appearance in Halloween is Grinch Night, The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat, and The Wubblous World of Dr. Seuss.
- On November 8, 2000, a non-animated version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas was released.
- The lead role of the Grinch was played by Jim Carey. Actors Eddie Murphy and Jack Nicholson were both considered for the role.
- Anthony Hopkins narrated the film and Ron Howard was the director.
A Whole Lot of Make-Up
- It took 2.5 hours for make-up artists to put the Grinch make-up on Jim Carey every day and 1 hour to remove the make-up.
- Jim Carey spent a total of 92 days in full Grinch make-up.
- The contacts that were used to make the Grinch’s eye look yellow were so uncomfortable that Jim Carey could not wear them all the time. In some of the scenes, editors added the yellow color to the Grinch’s eyes after the movie was finished filming.
- What does the movie the Grinch and the Wizard of Oz have in common? Make-up! Not since the Wizard of Oz was released in 1939 had so many characters have on such heavy make-up.
- It took more than 1,000 hours in total to apply make-up to all the actors while making the movie.
- The 2018 Grinch movie is an animated feature.
- It is 1 hour and 45 minutes long.
- The movie is narrated by Pharrell Williams.
- Benedict Cumberbatch plays the Grinch.
- The movie is directed by Yarrow Cheney and Scott Mosier
The Grinch is a beloved family classic. If you haven’t read the book or watch the move, order it today!
Jim Carey as the Grinch: How the Grinch Stole Christmas