Fun Tiger Facts for Kids
Tigers are one of the most researched animals by kids. We at kidsplayandcreate love tigers. check out our cool tiger facts below.
- A tiger’s scientific name is Panthera Tigris
- Tigers live on the continent of Asia. Their habitats include grasslands, forest and swamps. A habitat is the animal’s natural home or environment.
- Tigers are an endangered species. Many efforts are being made to help this endangered animal. The number of tigers living in the wild is on the rise however, today there are less than 4,000 tigers living in the wild.
- There are nine sub-species:
Malayan Tiger,Panthera Tigris Jacksoni: Became a sub-species in 2004. Lives in Southeast Asia and is critically endangered.
Sumatran Tiger, Panthera Tigris Sumatrae: Smallest of all tigers. Lives in Sumatra a small Indoesian island and is critically endangered.
Siberian Tiger,Panthera Tigirs Altaica: Lives in Eastern Sibera
Bengal Tiger, Panthera Tigirs Tigirs: Most common of all tigers. Lives in India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan.
South China Tiger, Panthera Tigris Amoyensis: most Critically endangered. Lives in South China.
Caspian Tiger, Bali Tiger and Javan Tiger are all extinct.
Largest Cats in the World
- Tigers are in the cat family and is the largest cat in the world. They are the 3rd largest carnivore in the world. A carnivore is a meat eating animal. Polar Bears are the largest and Brown Bears are the second largest. Tigers can be 6 feet – 11 feet long with a 3 foot long tail. They can weigh between 250-700 pounds.
- A male tiger is called a Tiger.
- A female tiger is called a Tigress.
- A baby is called a cub.
- Tigers like to be alone except during mating.
- Mother tigers give birth after approximately 100 days.
- A mother can give birth to 1-6 tiger cubs. Usually they have 2-3.
- A cub lives with their mother for 2 years.
- Cubs learn to hunt from their mother and can catch prey at about 1 year old.
Tiger Hunting Facts
- Both the male and female tigers hunt. Tigers like to hunt at night. They have excellent eyesight for catching prey.
- Tigers hunt different types of deer, buffalo, antelopes, wild boars, baby elephant and rhinos and most other animals they can catch.
- Tigers like to sneak up on their prey, they watch it then sprint to catch it. They bite their prey throat or back of the neck to kill it.
- A tiger can eat up 60 pounds of meat but usually they eat less.
- It can take a couple of days for the tiger to eat their entire prey. They will eat until they are full then cover the animal with leaves and dirt to hide it. When they are hungry again they will go back to finish eating.
More fun Tiger Facts
- Unlike other cats, tigers like the water. They like to live by water. Tigers can swim up to 4 miles at one time.
- Most tigers have orange fur with black strips.
- White tigers are very rare. White tigers are born with a gene that causes them to be white. Only 1 out of 10,000 tigers are born white tigers.
- Like our fingerprints no two tigers have the same stripe pattern.
- Not only are tigers fur stripped but their skin is stripped too!
- A tiger retracts their claws when walking. They do not leave claw prints in their footprints.
- Tigers can run up to 40 miles per hour and jump 16 feet high.
- Tigers are solitary animals, meaning they prefer to live alone.
- A tigers roar can be heard over 2 miles away.
- A group of tigers is called an Ambush or Streak.
- Tigers can live up to 26 years in captivity and 10-15 years in the wild.
- There are more tigers living in captivity than their are in the wild.
- The only predator to a tiger is a human.
- A major threat to tigers is loss of habitat and hunting.
One of the most famous and well-known tigers is Winnie-the-Pooh’s beloved friend Tigger. Tigger is an active and lovable tiger who likes to bounce up and down on his tail.
Shere Khan from Disney’s the Jungle Book, is a popular tiger villain
Rajah – Who can forget Princess Jasmine’s favorite pet in Disney’s Aladdin
Tony the Tiger– The cereal mascot who is on boxes of Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes. His famous saying is “They’re Grrrrrreat!”
Daniel the Tiger– Daniel the Tiger is the main character in the PPS show Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.
Vitaly – Vitaly is the Tiger from Madagascar 3
Diego – Diego is the saber-tooth tiger from the Ice Age movies
Richard Parker- Richard Parker is the tiger from the movie Life of Pi
Click here for more animal facts