Can you lift an ice cube with a string?
Items needed: ice cube, cup of water, string (thread works great), Salt
- Have child fill up a cup with water
- Place an ice cube in the water
- Cut a piece of string long enough to go in the cup of water with some left over to hold.
- Place 1 end of the string on the ice cube and sprinkle salt over it
- Wait 1-2 minutes and slowly lift string.
- Ice cube will be attached
How can this be? While the string is laying on the ice cube the salt melts the top layer of the ice cube. It then freezes again with the string attached causing it to stick.