Are you looking for fun, interesting creative writing topics for 2nd grade? look no further we have you covered with the best creative writing topics for 2nd graders.
As an educator, you play an important role in the creative development of the children that you work with. In this digital world we live in, it gets harder and harder to engage 2 graders in creative writing, but there are so many benefits in writing. Creative writing allows children to express themselves and use their imagination. Creative writing can also build self-esteem. Not to mention it lets 2nd graders practice their handwriting and basic writing skills.
How do we get 2nd graders excited about writing? The best way to engage 2nd graders is to make writing fun and interesting. These creative writing topics for 2nd graders will get your students excited and engaged in writing.
2nd Grade Writing Topics about School
2nd graders think their teachers are the best. How fun would it be to have them write about their teachers or school? Check out these fun creative writing topics below.
- What is your favorite part about playing outside on the school playground during recess?
- You have to make the school lunch today. What are you going to make and what would you add to the school lunch menu?
- What superpowers do you wish your teacher had?
- Name something that you want your teacher to teach you and tell us why?
- If your teacher was a cartoon character which one would he/she be and why?
- If you could play a trick on your teacher what would you do?
- You forgot to do your homework. Write about a creative reason why you couldn’t do your homework.
- Your teacher announces that the class is getting a pet. Write about which class pet she should get and why. List 3 reasons.
- Pretend that you get to take over gym class today. As the gym teacher, you decide what activities the class will do. What games would you play and why?
- You are in charge of making the class rules. Do you think rules are important? What rules would you have and why?
Research Writing Topics for 2nd Grade
By the time a student gets to 2nd grade, he or she is ready to expand their writing skills. At this grade, children have or are working towards the ability to research topics and write about what they learned. An easy way to start this process is to give children a topic and have them write 3-5 facts about the topic. Check out these fun research writing topics for 2nd grade.
- What is your favorite animal and why? Write 5 facts about your favorite animal. Ideas: What does your animal eat? Where does your animal live? Is your animal a mammal?
- Pick a planet to write about. Write 5 facts about your planet. Ideas: Where is your planet located? Does your planet have water? How big is your planet? How many moons does your planet have?
- Pick a country you would like to visit. Write 5 facts about that country. Ideas: What continent is the country located? Name a type of food they eat. What language d they speak? What is the climate like? Name something you learned about their culture.
- Learn about a US president. Pick the current or past president. Write 5 facts about that president.
- Where does our money come from? Have children write 5 facts about money.
- How are rainbows made? Have children research rainbows and list 5 facts about them.
- What is something you are afraid of? Research something you are afraid of. Are you still afraid? Why or why not.
- Have children research a weather-related topic. Some ideas include hurricane, tornado, blizzard, earthquake, or tsunami. Have them list 5 facts about the topic.
- Pick a dinosaur. Dinosaurs are one of the most researched topics for elementary school students. Have the children research one dinosaur and list 5 facts.
Step-by-Step Writing Topics
By the time a child gets to 2nd grade, they have the ability to give step-by-step directions on how to do a task. Check out these creative step-by-step writing topics for 2nd grade.
- Have the children write step-by-step about what they do in the morning before coming to school.
- Have the children write step-by-step directions on how to teach someone how to place their favorite game.
- Have the children write step-by-step details on what they do at school from the time they get off the bus int the morning to the time they take the bus back home.
- Tell the children to write step-by-step directions on how to make their favorite sandwich.
- Have the children write step-by-step details on what will happen at their birthday party.
Imaginative Writing Topics
Children have awesome imaginations. Let them put it to use with these imaginative creative writing topics for 2nd grade.
- You just rubbed a magic lamp and a genie popped out! The genie can grant you three wishes, What will you wish for?
- An alien just landed in your backyard, what happens next?
- Pretend you are an explorer going on a new adventure. What happens on your journey?
- Ahoy maties! Pretend you are a pirate and just found a treasure map. You and your pirate crew are ready to sail to these to search for the treasure what happens next?
- What would you do if your toys started to talk? Write about what happens.
- Your sitting on your couch and you hear a loud stomping sound. You look out the window to see a dinosaur coming down your street. Write about what happens next.
- You were turned into a shark for a day. What about how you would spend your day like a shark.
- You are a King or a Queen. Write about what your castle would look like. This is also a good assignment to add a drawing piece. Have the children draw out what their castle would look like.
- Imagine you woke up and everything looked different. Maybe your house turned into a mansion or the sky is orange, Have children write about what would look different.
- Tired of watching the same shows. Create your own television show. What would your show be about? What kind of characters do you have?
Looking for more creative writing topics? Check out this link for 50+ Creative Writing Topics for Kids
Got Teens? Check out The Best Creative Writing Topics for Teens