First grade is a fun and exciting year for a student. It’s a big step up from Kindergarten. The first grade may be the first time a child is in school full day or taking the bus.
First grade is when students are expected to expand and improve on writing skills. Since writing is fairly new to first graders, they need support to get their thoughts and options written clearly and confidently.
Fun writing topics are a great way for first graders to be excited about writing. The writing prompts below were developed to have students get their creative juices flowing. We want students to get their thoughts on paper and enjoy writing while practicing sentence structure and punctuation.
These writing topics for 1st grade are perfect to use in the classroom, homeschool, or as fun writing practice at home.
Writing prompts for 1st grade
These writing topics are perfect for first-grade students. There are so many creative writing topics; how do I know these are great for first-grade students?
At Kids Play and Create, we picked simple, fun writing topics perfect for young writers. These writing prompts are designed to be easy to write about, interesting, and not intimidating for first-time writers.
- What was the grossest thing you ate at school? Would you give it a second try?
2. What would your name be, and what would you wear if you were a superhero?
3. What are five reasons kids are cooler than grown-ups?
4. My favorite color is ___________________, because…
5. What time do you think you should go to bed? Why?
6. What is your favorite thing to do at recess? Why?
7. Write about what you love about your mom or dad.
8. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
9. Describe what your favorite dinner is.
10. Would you rather buy lunch or bring lunch? why?
How to Writing for First Grade
In first grade, students will learn to write detailed explanations of how to do something. Here are writing topics to encourage students to give detailed instructions on doing something or practice writing a description.
- Explain how to brush your teeth.
2. Write directions on how to play your favorite game.
3. Give steps on how to wash your hands.
4. Write three things you did before coming to school.
5. How do you take care of a pet?
6. Describe what your mom, dad, or sibling looks like.
7. Janelle has moved here from Florida and has never seen snow. A snowstorm is on the way. Write instructions teaching Janelle how to build a snowman.
8. Write detailed instructions on how to draw a stick figure.
Imaginative Storytelling Writing Prompts for First Grade
- You are going on a treasure hunt; what happens?
2. Today your best friend asked you to go on an exciting adventure; where are you going?
3. You found a magic wand; what will you do with it?
4. A genie granted you three wishes; what are they?
5. Describe the best day ever.
6. Your mom has to say yes to everything today; what do you ask her?
7. You have been the newest Pokemon. Describe what you look like and what your abilities are.
8. Take a look at the clouds; what do you see?
9. You got trapped inside a snow globe; how did you get in there? Did you find your way out?
10. You are at the zoo with your class, and the animals escape; what happens next?
Self-Esteem Writing Topics for First Grade
- I am special because…
- I am good at…
- Explain what a kind friend is.
- Write about a time when you were brave.
- I know I am smart because…
- What makes me feel better when I am sad?
- What makes you happy?
- Who do you talk to when you’re upset? why?
- I want to be ________________when I grow up.
Free Printable Worksheets for First-Grade Students
Enjoy Free printable worksheets for first-grade students. Teachers can use printable worksheets in addition to classroom materials. These free printable worksheets can be used in the classroom, in an after-school program, in homeschool, or at home for extra practice.
Yes or No Printable Teachers can there own question