Creative Writing Topics and Ideas for Kids
Check the end of the article for Creative Writing Topics for Teens
What is creative writing?
Creative writing can be used to explain many types of writing. It is basically writing that lets the writer express themselves. Some forms of creative writing are meant to entertain the reader, while others are therapeutic. Creative writing lets the writer use their imagination and takes the reader on a journey into their thoughts.
Why Creative Writing?
Creative writing is a great way to find out more about the children you work with. You can find out things about what they like and don’t like. Depending on the topic you chose, you can also find out things about their personality, what kind of friend they are, how they feel about themselves and if they set goals and more.
How do you get kids to want to write without complaining? Give them fun topics which they will learn about themselves while writing. On this list, you will find a variety of topics that are good for both younger children and older children.
Writing is fun for children of all ages
I’ve done this many times with children as young as 1st grade. I have them concentrate less on the writing and more on drawing a picture that goes with the topic. Children are great at expressing themselves through art.
1. Have the children write on top of the page: I Am Special Because… This is a good topic to help children express themselves.Have the children think about why they are special and have them ask themselves questions, here are some examples: what are am I good at, who have they helped, how have I made a difference, what special talent do I have,
2. If I was a superhero what kind out superhero would I be and what powers would I have? (This can also be done using villains) Example of powers they can write about: fly, super speed, eye lasers, walk through walls, shoot ice, shoot fire, change the weather, camouflage, shapeshift (change shape), turn invisible
Activity: Keep track of who chose a superhero or a villain. Do not let the children know that another activity will follow after the writing activity. When the writing activity is over split the children into two teams, the superhero team and the villain team. Have them vs each other in a game of tag. Who will be champion the superheroes or the villains?
3.What do I want to be when I grow up and why? This a great way to get to know children. By asking what they want to be when they grow up you can find out what the children like. It’s also a great way for children to start thinking about the future.
4. If you were given 3 wishes what would they be and why? This is a fun topic. Children can think about having anything in the world. Will they pick something like peace on earth or will they go the million dollar route?
5. If I could invent a new animal what kind of animal what kind of animal would it be? Have the children ask themselves the following questions: What does the animal look like (what color, is it big or small, is it a combination of two animals)? What sounds does the animal make? What does it eat? Where does it live? Describe the animal’s habitat.
6. If I could invent a new toy what kind of toy would I create and why? Or, If I could improve a toy, which toy would I improve, how would I make it better? You can talk to the children about the creative process: First you come up with an idea, then you have to get it made. You can talk to the children about manufacturing toys. Here are some questions you can ask the children about improving a toy. How do you want to make the toy better? Do you want to make the remote control car faster? Do you want to make that game more challenging? Do you want your doll to have more features or do more? These are all questions you can ask the children to get their brains thinking.
7. If I could make something disappear in my life what would it be and why? Ask the children if there something in your life that makes them unhappy? If there a problem you are having?
8. All About me essay. Some sample questions the children can ask are: What do I like? What don’t I like? What is my favorite subject in school? What do I want to be when I group up? Who is their favorite actress/actor? Where do they want to visit? They can name the people in their family, talk about any extracurricular activities they do etc…
9. What ways do I help my family? Have children write about the ways they help their families. Do yo have chores? If so, what are they? Do you help your mom or dad cook? Do you talk out the garbage? Do you take care of siblings? Do you have a job to help pay bills?
10. How can I be a better friend? Have children think about what type of friend they are. Are they a good listener? Are you kind? Do you talk about your friends to other people? Have them think about how they would like to be treated by a friend, do they treat their friends the way they want to be treated?
11. If you could be invisible what would you do and why? Have the children think about what it would be like to be invisible. Would they use this new power for good or would they try to do something bad?
12. What do you think about bullies and why? Have they children define what a bully is to them in their paper. Do they think they are a bully? Do they think bullying is wrong? Remember these are things the children are feeling, there are no wrong answers.
13. Why is it important to be honest and not lie? To them the children with their writing ask them the following questions. What does it mean to be honest? Have you ever told a lie that turned into another lie?
14. What would do if you won a million dollars? This questions is usually a favorite topic with the children. Ask them first if they think a million dollars is a lot of money. Depending on where you live, it might be just enough to buy a house and a car. What are some things you would by? Would you save some or spend it all?
15. If you could change the world what would you do and why? This is a good question for older children. Would they change things such as ending hate and violence in the world? Would they change things such as making gas or food free for everyone? You will get a variety of answers which make this a fun and interesting topic.
16. If you were a king/queen what would you do and why? This is a fun topic for both younger and older children. Activity: Have the children draw their kingdom and a picture of them as king or queen
17. If you could invent a video game what kind of game would you create and why? This topic is also great for older children and young er children. Children love playing video games, they may not realize that they can actually make video games for a living. Talk to the children about video game developers and the process of creating video games. Have them brainstorm ideas for games, find out what they can come up with.
18. Write about a time when you had to be brave, what did you do, how did it feel? Ask the children if they have ever been afraid? What were they afraid of? Did something scary happen to them? What did they do to get through it?
19. Write about a trip to the moon, how did you get there, what did you see, was it fun or scary?
20. Write about something you are really good at?
21. Write about 1 thing you want to learn about?
22. Write about a time when you worked really hard to get something.
23. Write about 5 things you could be better at if you worked really hard and gave more effort. There is always room for improvement. Talk to the children about the importance of trying hard and working towards a goal.
24. If you had to give away $1,000 what would you do with it, who would you give it to?
25. What is the best thing someone has ever given to you?
26. What is the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?
27. Write about what you can teach others.
28. Did ever get into an argument with a friend or family member? How did that make you feel?
29. Did you ever hurt someone’s feelings? Explain what happened, how it made you feel
30. Did someone ever hurt your feelings? How did it make you feel? Did you talk to that person about it?
31. Is there anyone you would like to switch places with? who and why
32. What does it mean to be loyal?
33. When was a time you were loyal to a friend or a friend was loyal to you?
34. Has a friend ever betrayed you? How did it make you feel? What do you think your friend should have done differently.
35. Have you ever been friends with someone who was unpopular or not part of the group?
36. When was a time you felt you were treated unfairly? How did it make you feel?
37. Is it fair to give someone a head start in a race? When is it fair? When is it not fair?
38. Write about a time when you had a strong opinion about something? Why did you feel so strongly about it?
39. Write about a time you made a big mistake. How did you fix it?
40. Write about a time when you were very angry. What happened?
41. If you heard a rumor about a friend that you knew wasn’t true what would you do? How would it make you feel?
42. Write about a time when you cheered someone up. What did you do, how did it make you feel, how did it make that person feel?
43. Write about a time that you used your inner strength to get through a tough situation.
44. Write about 3 things that are hard for you and why.
45. When was the last time you were afraid? What scared you, how did you react?
46. What is the bravest thing you’ve ever done?
47. Who is your hero and why?
48. What do you think risk-taking is? Have you ever took a risk?
49. Write about your best friend. Who are they, how long have you known them, why are they your best friend?
50. What does it mean to have good character? Do you think you have good character, why?
51.Think about something you are not allowed to do but wish you could. Write about why you want to do it and why you should be allowed to do it.
52. If you could be on a t.v show which one would it be and why?
53. If you had to choose to be one age for the rest of your life which age would you want to be? Why?
54. If you could pick the perfect job what would it be?
55. You just found a treasure map, write about what you would do next. Do you decide to look for the treasure? Who is going to help you? What supplies do you need?
56. You just built a time machine. Where in time would you go? What did you do? What did you see? Would you want to stay there or come back to the present time?
57. You just discovered a new land. What are you going to call your land? What kind of animals live there? What do you discover on your land? What are you going to build on your new land?
58. Group writing project. Create a fairy tale. Have each member of the group write one part of the story.
If you are working with younger children, instead of having them write, you can have them draw and answer questions about their drawing. Try some of these topics.
1 Create a monster. Your monster can be silly, scary, funny, big, little, colorful etc.. What is your monster’s name? What does your monster eat? Where does your monster live? Is your monster nice or mean? You can write the answers to the questions on the paper for the child or have them come up and share their drawing, while they are showing their picture ask them the questions about their monster.
2. Create an animal. This is the same as the monster but just an animal instead.
I’ve been working with kids on group writing and art projects. The kids enjoyed these topics the best.
59. Create an amusement park. Discuss as a group the name of the park. Have each member of the group write about the parts of the park.
A. What is the theme of your park? Adventure, thrill rides, water rides, safari, etc…
B. Write about the type of rides at the park. Are there shows in the park?
C. Describe places to eat at the park, what type of food do they serve.
D. Do they have a gift shop? What do they sell at your park?
Art Project: On a large poster board have each member of the group draw a park map. List of attractions, games, food, restrooms, gift shops, shows, etc..
60. Create a planet – Your group has just discovered a new planet. Have a group discussion about the planet. What is the name? Do anyone live on the planet? Is there water on the planet? Did you find fossils, aliens, animals? Is there oxygen? Are there plants, trees or water? Have each member of the group write something about the planet.
Art Project: Make a planet out of paper mache. Once dry, paint and decorate the planet.
61. Create a new food/or meal and make a recipe to teach others how to make it. Have the kids draw a picture of the new food/meal.
62. Create a new game and describe how to play.
63. Write about a time you lost a game, didn’t do well on a test or made a mistake, what lesson did you learn.
The Best Creative Writing Prompts and Topics for Teens
- Have you ever seen somebody being treated unfairly? If so, did you do anything about it or did you ignore it and walk away?
- Do you talk to people the same way in person as you do on social media?
- How do you think social media has changed or is changing the world?
- What kind of America do you want to live in?
- What are your plans after high school?
- What do you think college life is like?
- Do you think it is important to save money at your age? If so, how do you save money? Why do you think it is important?
- Do you know what it means to have good credit? Do you think it is important to have good credit? Why?
- Would you ever join the military? Why?
- Who is your idol and why?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- If you could take a trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Write about something you would love to try and why
- Write about something you did but then felt guilty about it later. How did you handle the situation?
- What is the hardest experience you have ever been through? How did you handle it?
- Have you ever been to a job interview? Where you prepared? Did you get the job? Would you say something different if you could do it over? Would you be better prepared next time?
- How do you think the world will be 50 years from now?
- Write about your dream home.
- If you were a parent, would you let your child have a social media account? Why or why not?
- Would you rather work in a team on a project or alone?
- Write about your favorite song, why is it your favorite? What is your favorite verse? How do you feel when listening to it?
- If you were a clothing designer, what kind of clothes would you design?
- You have to spend one year stranded on a deserted island, you can bring 5 things or people with you, what do you bring.
- You are a superhero, you have to use your powers to make a positive change in the world. What powers do you have?
- You are given the power to change one thing you don’t like about your self, would you change anything? If yes, what would you change and why?
- You are creating a new amusement park. What kind of park would it be? What kind of rides does it have?
- Write about the best Christmas gift you have ever received. Explain what it was, why it was your favorite, who gave it to you, do you still have it?
- You were given 1 million dollars, but you have to give it away. Who would you give it to? would you give it to one person or a couple of different people? Would you donate it to an organization?
- Name 5 of the most important things in your life ( house, family, health etc..) now you just lost all of them. How would you feel, what would you do?
- You just became a YouTube sensation. What did you do that made you famous? How does it feel to be recognized by people on the street?
- A friend of yours has been depressed and said that they told you they don’t want to live anymore. What do you do and why?
- How would people describe you and why?
- Do you think that violent video games make people violent? Do you think there should be age restrictions on video games?
- You have a choice of giving up social media or hanging out with your friends for a week, which one do you choose and why?
- Do you think what you are learning in school can help you in the real world? What topics do you think you should be learning and why?
- Do you think that money can buy happiness, why or why not?
- Do you think you need the education to become successful?
- How important is your cell phone to you? I rather give up….blank….then my cell phone (explain).
- Describe the perfect day. What would you do?
- Have you ever been faced with discrimination? Were you the one being discriminated against or were you a witness to discrimination, How did you feel?
- You were given the opportunity to meet anyone in the world living or dead, who would you want to meet and why?