Reindeer Facts for Kids
Click here for more animal facts
- Reindeer are also known as Caribou. In Europe they are called Reindeer all the time. America we called them Caribou in the wild and when domesticated we call them Reindeer.
- Scientific Name: Rangifer Tarasndus.
- Reindeer live in the Northern parts of North America including Canada and Alaska also in Europe, Russia and Greenland. Lets us not forget with Santa at the North Pole.
- They live on tundras. A tundra is a vast flat, treeless Arctic Region.
- Reindeer are herbivores meaning they are plant eaters.
- They eat lichen a type of moss, grass and plants.
- A reindeer can live up to 15 years in the wild.
- A reindeer mostly has different shades of brown soft fur with white fur on their neck and parts of their back. Their fur may also be gray or a rust like color.
- They can weigh anywhere between 240-700 pounds.
- Reindeer are usually 4-5 ft tall not including their antlers. Their antlers are 3ft tall!
- Did you know that reindeer are the only deer in which both male and females grow antlers. They shed their antlers in the winter.
- Reindeer antlers are actually rubbery, living masses of blood and marrow when they are growing. The antlers grown until around August, then the bone begins to harden.
- Like a human’s fingerprint no two reindeer antlers are exactly the same.
- Reindeer migrate, during the winter reindeer’s migrate South. During the summer they migrate North. The trip is 1,200 miles round trip. That is one of the world’s largest migrations.
- Their hooves are used to dig for food in the snow. The outer edges of their hooves are sharp while help them walk on ice and rocks.
- Reindeer’s have an ankle tendon which rubs over a bone causing a clicking sound when they walk. That clicking sound helps the reindeer keep track of each other especially when they can’t see in bad weather.
- Did you know that reindeer can run 50 miles per hour!
- A male reindeer is called a Buck.
- A female reindeer is called a Doe.
- A baby reindeer is called a Fawn.
- A mother usually gives birth to one fawn a year but sometimes two are born.
- A fawn is usually 10-11 pounds when born.
- A reindeer’s milk has more fat than cow’s milk.
Can you name all of Santa’s Reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen. Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and we can’t forget Rudolph