Fun Go Green for Ideas Kids, Fun Ways to Help the Earth for Kids, Earth Day Activities for Kids

What does it mean to “Go Green?”  To “Go Green” means to make earth conscious decisions when buying and using products or doing things to help the earth. There are many fun and simple things you can do everyday to help the planet.  Try some of these ideas at home or in the classroom.

 

  1. Recycle your garbage! Recycling is a great way to help the planet!  Put recycling bins next to your garbage. Separate recyclable items from your other garbage. Find out from your town when recycle garbage is picked up or bring your items to a drop off location.
  2. Make craft projects from recycled items such as can stilts, homemade bowling, create a shirt from an old t-shirt
  3. Donate your old toys instead of throwing them away.  There are many kids out there who would be happy to receive them. Do a class donation. Have everyone in class bring in a toy, items of clothing or shoes bring the donation to a local homeless shelter.  Don’t know where to donate.  Contact your local Department of Social Services.
  4. Make a school garden or a community garden.  Use the vegetables for school lunches or community residents.
  5. Plant a tree!
  6. As a school project have the class adopt a species.  When you adopt a species you support organizations that work to keep the animal out of danger and help their habitat.
  7. Buy school supplies and paper with made from recycled products on the label.
  8. Use cold water instead of hot to wash clothes, brush teeth, rinse vegetables and washing dishes. Using cold water uses less energy and saves money.
  9. Why drive when you can walk or ride!  If you’re going short distances take a walk with friends, classmates and family or ride your bike.  Driving less will help save gas, cause less air pollution and gives you exercise.
  10. Unplug electronic items when they are not in use.  Anything that uses electricity still uses electricity even when their turned off.  Unplugging things such as radios, t.v and video games will save energy and money.
  11. Always use refillable bottles instead of plastic water bottles.  Did you know that only 12% of plastic bottles are recycled.  The other 88% end up in landfills.
  12. When buying items looks for products that say “organic”, “sustainably harvested”, “fair trade” or “post consumer”.  Avoid items that have words in their ingredients that start with “nitro” or end in “methyl” or “ethyl”
  13. Bring your own cloth bags when shopping.  Did you know that it takes 14 million trees to make all the paper bags used in the US each year.  It takes 12 millions barrels of oil to make all the plastic bags used each year!
  14. Organize a local clean up day.  You can clean up the local park, school or even neighborhood.
  15. Watch how much water you use.  Take a shorter shower, turn off the water while brushing your teeth, fix leaky faucets, only use the dishwasher when it is full.
  16. Use solar lighting.  On a sunny day turn off lights and open all the curtain wide.  Let all the sunlight in. The sun is the planet’s biggest light source and it’s free take advantage of it.
  17. Use “green” products when cleaning not only is it better for the environment but it saves money too.  for all all purpose cleaner mix baking soda and warm water.  Put it in a spray bottle.  Use lemons to remove soap scum, it also cleans glasses and dishes.  Use white vinegar to clean your toilets and shower.
  18. When packing kids lunch don’t wrap sandwiches and snacks in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.  Pack lunch in reusable containers and use a reusable lunch box. Buy large juice containers and refill reusable bottles.
  19. Buy rechargeable batteries. Batteries are made with many chemicals such as mercury and lead that can be harmful to humans and animals.  When batteries are thrown away they when up in landfills.  Those chemicals will start to leak out an get into the soil and water which is bad for the environment.
  20. Turn off the lights when you leave the room. Instead of using incandescent light bulbs buy compact fluorescent light bulbs.  Did you know what if everyone in America switch one light bulb to a compact fluorescent light it would save enough energy to power 3 million homes for a year!